Share | 

Steam Summer Getaway Sale

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Topman
Admin

PostSubject: Steam Summer Getaway Sale    Thu 11 Jul 2013, 4:41 pm

The Steam Summer Sale has begun in full force today! It will go on until July 22, and features great deals, as usual. This year, with the introduction of trading cards and Steam level, you can now earn cards through buying games and voting in the community polls.

For full info see: (insert link here - mobile devices suck)

So, what has everyone nabbed from the sale so far?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Quills on Wheels

PostSubject: Re: Steam Summer Getaway Sale    Thu 11 Jul 2013, 8:17 pm

Nothing yet. I'm keeping my eyes open for Prince of Persia...

...and maybe Assassin's Creed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Topman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Steam Summer Getaway Sale    Thu 11 Jul 2013, 9:53 pm

So far, I've bought:

- Bleed
- Shatter
- Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
- Organ Trail: Director's Cut
- Sequence
- Fable The Lost Chapters
- Borderlands 2
- Two Mystery Games I Got As Gifts

My checking account is crying in pain.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Quills on Wheels

PostSubject: Re: Steam Summer Getaway Sale    Thu 11 Jul 2013, 10:29 pm

Jesus Ken. ANd it's only been the first day...

A friend of mine gifted me Bastion. So yeah...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Topman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Steam Summer Getaway Sale    Fri 12 Jul 2013, 12:14 am

Hey man, I want to grab those deals. Also, Bastion is a great game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Silver Fox

PostSubject: Re: Steam Summer Getaway Sale    Fri 12 Jul 2013, 1:06 am

I BOUGHT EVERYTHING
ALL THE THINGS
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.forest.com
Quills on Wheels

PostSubject: Re: Steam Summer Getaway Sale    Fri 12 Jul 2013, 6:35 am

Wow... you guys have way too much money.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Morgue Keeper Ray
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Steam Summer Getaway Sale    Fri 12 Jul 2013, 8:14 am

Frickin' Ken. Why'd you get Borderlands 2 on the PC?

If I knew you were after that I would have informed you of the XBL sale where the game was only $10 and all the DLC except the newest one was %50 off, about $5 each.

Now you'll be running around the lonely wasteleand with no good friends to go on magical adventures with you and you won't be able to join the Team of Awesomeness I'm putting together to plow through the recently-acquired DLCs!

Oh, and you won't get a bonus thingamabob for playing Borderlands.

I hope you're happy.

P.S. I warned you about Fable 1. Baaaaaad choice.

This signature of mine needed an update. This signature is now updated. I need to put something witty or fitting here...

Ring Loading Sarcastic Comment. Please Wait
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1606893-146-the-elder-scroll
Topman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Steam Summer Getaway Sale    Fri 12 Jul 2013, 1:58 pm

But Ray, Borderlands 2 has trading cards! TRADING CAAAAAAARDS. Jon has it, though! As for Fable 1, you are literally the only person I've seen that does not like it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SaveTheCake

PostSubject: Re: Steam Summer Getaway Sale    Fri 12 Jul 2013, 5:35 pm

Jesus Christ, you guys are buying a lot of shizzle.

I haven't been gifted anything, I don't have the money to buy anything. All I have is "TF2" and "Realm of the Mad God", which doesn't work. xD
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thegleblifeyo.webs.com
Morgue Keeper Ray
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Steam Summer Getaway Sale    Fri 12 Jul 2013, 10:16 pm

Keniruhs wrote:
But Ray, Borderlands 2 has trading cards! TRADING CAAAAAAARDS. Jon has it, though! As for Fable 1, you are literally the only person I've seen that does not like it.

I hardly even understand what those stupid trading cards are for; I'm 90% sure they're not worth spending an extra $10 plus paying full price for any DLC. And God knows trying to have Jon join you on a co-op adventurrrrrrre could very much be as much of a hassle as trying to write a collab with Firo.

[Pssssst, it is very much a hassle]

My distaste in Fable 1 probably stems from playing the Fable trilogy basically backwards. It was just so...obnoxiously dumbed-down and monotonous compared to the neatness of its processors. I mean, I'd like to play as my character when they were a young adult for a little longer than the first few Main Quest missions before he turns into a hobbly old man.

Regardless, you basically wasted $10 when you could have acquired an amazing console game and gone on fun maddening adventures. Bravo, Ken. Bravo. *sarcastic clap*

This signature of mine needed an update. This signature is now updated. I need to put something witty or fitting here...

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1606893-146-the-elder-scroll

PostSubject: Re: Steam Summer Getaway Sale    Fri 12 Jul 2013, 11:26 pm

Lemme explain trading cards here right quick. Trading cards, frankly said, are a non-assholish way of taking advantage of you. If a game has trading cards, then when you play it you'll get some card drops, the amount of cards varies on the game, Dungeons of Dredmor has 3 card drops. But hohoho, what next? Well, you actually don't immediately need to spend money or to seek out someone to trade cards with, as when you've gotten all the cards that drop for you, you'll become eligible for a booster pack. Booster packs are given to people who got all their cards when someone crafts a Game Badge, which is what you craft with the full set of cards with that game. When you craft a Game Badge, you get four things: A background for your profile, an emoticon for use in Steam conversations, a Game Badge and Steam EXP. Occasionally you'll get a coupon for a game.

Now I bet you're wondering what Steam EXP does, yeah? Well Steam EXP isn't actually useless. If you get a high enough level, your friend list cap will increase (Default 250 max) and you'll get access to more profile customization options. Higher Steam level will also increase your chance of getting a Booster Pack.

Now how to use Steam TCG effectively? If you don't care about Steam EXP, or don't want anything relating to that game (Say A.R.E.S), just grab the cards and sell them on the community market and buy what you want, profile backgrounds and emoticons are cheap as hell. You could theoretically get enough money to buy a game off of selling cards, but it's so small that it's pretty much not worth considering unless you don't want the emoticons or profile backgrounds, badges or whatever, just sell whatever you get and maybe eventually you'll get something for a DLC.

BUT WAIT, HOW DOES VALVE MAKE MONEY IF YOU CAN TRADE WITHIN THE MARKET?
The thing is that someone has to buy the original Steam funds, and Valve takes a cut off of every sale in the market, so all the Steam funds will slowly disappear as it gets traded around. And that's not all, a game having cards make it seem like it has more value to consumers so you'll be more willing to buy a game with cards than without.
It also keeps people still using Steam as their platform, as Steam will have more perceived value with cards and them loving their emoticons and Steam Level.

Now a few things I forgot to mention
During the Summer sale, if you craft a Game Badge you'll get a Steam Summer Getaway card, which is just another set of cards to do. There's apparently profile backgrounds and emoticons just like any game badge for crafting a Steam Summer Getaway badge as well. Basically the exact same thing but the acquiring methods are different. See here to find out how (hint: It involves money)

Yes, you can craft multiple badges for the same game. You'll get exactly the same stuff, 100 EXP, a profile background, etc, but you'll get a higher rank badge to display the world if you care. Three badges crafted is 300 EXP flatout, not the third badge is 300 EXP to my understanding, I might be wrong or Steam may have not updated their Steam card FAQ page after the beta, odds are it's 100 for a badge period though.

Last edited by Mechazoid on Sat 13 Jul 2013, 12:18 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typoes and updates)
Back to top Go down
Morgue Keeper Ray
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Steam Summer Getaway Sale    Sat 13 Jul 2013, 11:07 am

Yeah it ultimately sounds too gimmicky for me to care about it, especially considering I don't really use Steam as my default go-to for games due to not having God's computer specs.

My point is Ken was more willing to spend $10 more for virtual cards than get Borderlands 2 on his Xbox to play with me, maybe Mecha, and potentially the non-yaoi Kingdom Hearts fan I met at this Acting Camp. This frustrates me immensely.

Back to top Go down
Topman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Steam Summer Getaway Sale    Sat 13 Jul 2013, 11:39 am

The thing is, we never play games on the Xbox, anyway. Between connection and timing troubles, we can't ever stay on a game for more than 5 minutes. I figured I may as well buy the game on Steam, because 1) it was considerably cheaper than I've seen it elsewhere, 2) I actually wanted the game for more than the trading cards, 3) FPSes are better for me (Mecha, read: for me) on PC, and 4) my computer can run it better than my Xbox can. So, sorry bro, you'll have to make due without me.

In other news, RPG Maker VX is on sale for about $23.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mecalia the Wolfie

Location : Probably asleep under a tree looking up at the clouds. Or behind you depends what time it is really.

PostSubject: Re: Steam Summer Getaway Sale    Sat 13 Jul 2013, 2:50 pm

Keniruhs wrote:
The thing is, we never play games on the Xbox, anyway. Between connection and timing troubles, we can't ever stay on a game for more than 5 minutes. I figured I may as well buy the game on Steam, because 1) it was considerably cheaper than I've seen it elsewhere, 2) I actually wanted the game for more than the trading cards, 3) FPSes are better for me (Mecha, read: for me) on PC, and 4) my computer can run it better than my Xbox can. So, sorry bro, you'll have to make due without me.

In other news, RPG Maker VX is on sale for about $23.

I SENSE HOSTILITY TOWARD ME MY KENICALS
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jonnehicles

PostSubject: Re: Steam Summer Getaway Sale    Sat 13 Jul 2013, 9:32 pm

[But Ray, Fable 1 is adorable! The others are kinda lame though.]

As for what I bought so far:

-Bully : Scholarship Edition
-Gun Monkeys
-Jet Set Radio (gift)
-Scribblenauts Unlimited

Games are fun, guises.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.respawn-point.com
Topman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Steam Summer Getaway Sale    Sun 14 Jul 2013, 11:09 am

I've since bought:

- Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
- Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition

I love these deals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Silver Fox

PostSubject: Re: Steam Summer Getaway Sale    Sun 14 Jul 2013, 12:39 pm

i could get one more game IF MY FOIL SOLD ALREADY GRRRRR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.forest.com
Morgue Keeper Ray
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Steam Summer Getaway Sale    Mon 15 Jul 2013, 7:26 pm

Well I've had an annoying day so far.

So I tried purchasing Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 while they were on sale along with Dishonored, but Steam was not letting me get the funds. I tried two different credit cards (mom's and grandfather's) and my own debit card on my iPad's Steam App, the Steam site from my iPad, and the Steam site from my laptop and my grandparents' super-spec computer. Each time, wether it was purchasing the funds or purchasing the games, it would give the same error message of "An unexpected error has occurred. Please contact Steam Support"

Well, the sale on KotOR 1 and 2 ended about half an hour ago, so that has me ticked. I'm probably just going to try and buy a Steam card from a store tomorrow...but needless to say I'm infuriated with Steam right now. Hopefully if I'm lucky Steam Support will get the email I sent through their program and at the very least enable me to purchase KotOR at the Flash sale prices.

Back to top Go down
Jonnehicles

PostSubject: Re: Steam Summer Getaway Sale    Mon 15 Jul 2013, 7:46 pm

Recently, I got:

Mirror's Edge
Deus Ex Human Revolution + Missing Link (finally)
CARDS CARDS CARDS
More cards
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Steam Summer Getaway Sale    Mon 15 Jul 2013, 8:36 pm

Jon has bought directly EA products. We must now shun him. Only Ray gets scott free with EA products.
Back to top Go down
Jonnehicles

PostSubject: Re: Steam Summer Getaway Sale    Tue 16 Jul 2013, 5:49 pm

Mirror's Edge was a gift, actually. I dunno when I'll play it yet though.
Back to top Go down
Topman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Steam Summer Getaway Sale    Fri 19 Jul 2013, 5:28 pm

So, since I last posted, I caved in to:

- Forge
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Legendary Edition

I am weak.

Oh, and Lightning gifted me:

- Counter-Strike: Source Guest Pass

Yay!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Quills on Wheels

PostSubject: Re: Steam Summer Getaway Sale    Fri 19 Jul 2013, 11:09 pm

B-day present.

I got Civilization V Gold Edition
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jonnehicles

PostSubject: Re: Steam Summer Getaway Sale    Sat 20 Jul 2013, 5:59 pm

I made 11 euro in total from selling all my cards.
The past three days were good days. I bought Dark Souls with my money.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steam Summer Getaway Sale    

Back to top Go down

Steam Summer Getaway Sale
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next